A Passage to Blog

A search for a better life and a better world, one agonizing step at a time.

Name:
Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Just one person trying to find a better life for himself, his family, and the world ... and trying to find a good chai tea at the same time

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

A Passage to Blog - Beginnings

Where to begin? This blog is to act as a walk-up call, a virtual call-to-arms to my country, my party, my family and friends, and most importantly myself. Last week I was standing in line to vote, confident that my vote was not going to affect the race for president, but also confident that my guy was going to win. Four years of bad leadership and bad policies on taxes, the war on terror, the war in Iraq, world trade, the environment, international relations, the economy, the budget, it all would be wiped away. I found Air America on the internet, listening closely at work while Franken and the rest of the hosts sounded upbeat and continued everybody to vote. I got my kids tucked in for the night, and then rushed down to watch the results. And then it started. The vote total started to get away. The electoral college tally started to get away. Florida never got close. No big upsets in West Virginia, Arkansas, or Missouri. Finally at 2 in the morning, I was just staring at Ohio, knowing that the red wasn't going to fade away, and then one thought got into my head that a lot of other people in the nation were probably thinking under a happier context: Four More Years.

But what to do with those years? Do I just spend it like I did the previous four, happily married, watching the wonderful birth of our second son, collecting a paycheck, taking care of our house, going on a couple of vacations, but merely watching events unfold that you know in your heart are going to destroy this great country and planet? The thing is, a lot of people would kill for my life. And I wouldn't not trade it for the world. But there has to be more. Remember when you thought you could change the world. Then you wake up, you are in your thirties, and you have bills to pay, obligations to meet, and diapers to change, not worlds.

But that too can change. I believe that we can do it all, have families, have great relationships with our spouses, children, family and friends, but still leave an impact on this world that will not fade. How to do it? Damned if I know. But that is what this will be about. A search for that more perfect world and life. It will be a progressive search, in terms of politics, religion, world view, and rock & roll. So I hope you enjoy the search along with me, and if the truth happens to smack you upside your head along the way, there are three more words to remember: Share, Share, Share!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home